There are hundreds of recipes out there for chicken mince patties, but what makes this recipe stand out is… how insanely delicious it is!
The secret behind their amazing flavor hides in the sautéed onion and bacon, which we use
as main ingredients.
What we love about these delicious homemade chicken patties is that although they are
packed with so much flavor, they are still light and will not give you any feeling of indigestion.
Just follow these simple tips!
How to make perfect minced chicken patties at home
- The best cut for chicken mince burgers is ground chicken thighs.
Most of the time, ready-cut chicken mince comes from chicken breast.
If you want minced chicken thighs, you’ll have to ask your butcher to debone some chicken
thighs and mince them.
Chicken thighs will give you a much more succulent chicken patty/burger!
- As well as, you can use turkey thighs, without needing to change anything in the chicken
mince patties recipe.
- Sauté bacon, onions and garlic on medium heat.
Perhaps the most important step in the recipe is to lightly soften the onion, bacon and garlic.
It takes around 10-15 minutes so be patient.
Don’t increase the temperature, because you don’t want to brown the ingredients at all!
- The perfect time to add the spices is while you are sautéing the onion, bacon and garlic.
Warming the chili flakes and ground nutmeg will give you fresher and brighter taste and
- The onion-bacon mixture must completely cool down before you can add it into the chicken
Transfer it to a plate and spread it out to speed up the process.
- Once the onion-bacon mixture has cooled down, you have to combine it in a blender.
This will help with the consistency of the chicken patty.
We’ve tried both blending the onion mixture and not blending it.
We concluded that, when grilling the chicken patties with the non-blended onion mixture, the
patties didn’t hold their shape as well.
- We used a mixture of grated parmesan cheese and kasseri cheese (medium-hard yellow
Greek cheese), because that’s what we had.
You can use parmesan, pecorino, kasseri or graviera, or even a mix of these cheeses.
- The egg acts as a binding agent.
Beat it before adding it into the chicken mince.
- We used thin semolina in order to help the mixture stick together.
Semolina is used in place of bread, breadcrumbs or oats.
- When it’s time to mix all the ingredients together, wet your hands with cold water.
This will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
You can use kitchen gloves as well.
- Shape the chicken patties/burgers before placing them in the fridge.
Letting them rest for 30 minutes or more, will allow the flavors to come together and will help
the chicken patties hold their shape when grilled.
- These burgers are perfect for freezing.
Shape them into patties and place them on a tray.
Stick the tray in the freezer and once they are completely frozen, transfer them to a zip lock
This has really helped us on days when we were too lazy or tired to cook.
- If you are cooking these for kids, I would suggest you make 16 pieces instead of 8.
I find that kids enjoy the smaller size of chicken patties (you might too!).
- We used a grill pan for our homemade chicken patties, but you can more or less use any nonstick pan.
Make sure to preheat your pan for 3-4 minutes, before placing the chicken patties.
Once your pan is preheated, lower the temperature to medium heat and then add your
This will ensure even cooking.
Each side should need 7-8 minutes.
Don’t turn up the heat! Allow them to cook!
We chose to serve our minced chicken patties with oven-baked vegetables.
They go really well together and are so easy to make!
We used what we had at hand, broccoli, sweet potato, onions and carrots.
They only thing you want to be careful about, is the size you cut your veggies.
Try not to cut them too small or they will burn before they are baked.
Other veggies that you could add are cauliflower, potatoes, Brussel sprouts and asparagus.
Prepare these easy chicken mince patties and you’ll be making them again and again!
CHICKEN MINCE PATTIES WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
For the chicken patties
- 500 gr chicken mince (thigh)
- 10 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (approximately 160gr.)
- 1 small clove garlic, green germ removed & finely chopped (optional)
- 100 gr smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes or ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 100 gr parmesan cheese (or pecorino or kefalotyri or graviera cheese), grated
- 30 gr kasseri cheese, grated
- 30 gr thin semolina
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5-6 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the roasted vegetables
- 1 broccoli, cut in florets
- 1 big sweet potato, cut in thick slices
- 1 big onion, cut in eighths
- 1 big carrot, cut in thick slices
- 1-2 tbsp tbsp. chicken seasoning
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
For the chicken patties
- Get a pan on medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, bacon, chili flakes and ground nutmeg.
- Season carefully and sauté for 10-15 minutes, until the ingredients become soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer the onion-bacon mixture to a plate and let it cool down completely
- When the onion-bacon mixture is at room temperature, transfer to a blender and combine,until you get a smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken mince, onion-bacon mixture, grated cheese, egg, thinsemolina and parsley.
- Season carefully and combine gently until you get a smooth mixture.
- When it's time to mix all the ingredients together, wet your hands with cold water.
- This will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Shape eight chicken patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat a grill pan on medium heat.
- Grill the chicken patties for 7-8 minutes on each side, until they are nicely browned andcooked.
- Serve with roasted vegetables, drizzle with fresh lemon juice and enjoy!
For the roasted vegetables
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius/Fan mode.
- Mix all the ingredients in a big baking dish.
- Roast for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove baking dish from the oven.
- Taste and season according to your preference.
- Serve at once.